Update: Fall Challenge Week 1--Light a Candle for Peace

So I'm nearing the end of the 1st week and boy, what a challenge! I am learning a lot because the Lord is using this time to shape me.

Every morning, I light my big, orange candle and I remember to pray for peace in my home whenever I glance its way. Since joining the challenge, I am more aware of my tone of voice. . . if I'm intentional, the way I say things can often add peace to a situation.

A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare. Proverbs 15:1 (NLT)



This post is linked here at Women Living Well.
Read Courtney's post for week 1. . .such a
blessing!
I've shared the goal of this challenge with my husband and with my kids. Throughout the week, as a family, we've discussed different ways to display a peaceful attitude, focusing a lot on the fruit of the Spirit. (Galatians 5:22-23)

What the Holy Spirit has shown me specifically to help create an atmosphere of peace are the following:
  1. Prepare ahead of time (as much as I can) during the day for the following day. This helps free my time in the evening for activities as a family when my husband comes home.
  2. GO TO BED!!!! I'm usually up later than everyone else, trying to "fit in" things I didn't do earlier. The Lord is showing me that this is not always wise, because then the next day I'm tired and then a nasty cycle of sleep deprivation, crankiness, and unfinished tasks has begun. When I'm rested, things are just better, more peaceful.
  3. Start my day off right--in the Word. This is hard to do when I'm grasping and groping for an extra 15-20 minutes of sleep, right?! If I set the tone of my day with the Lord, then I can use His strength (not mine, because I'll surely fail!) to set the tone of peace for my family.
  4. I try not to turn my computer on before 11am. This just happens to be around the time when I've completed other duties with my children, house work, running errands, etc. I've been practicing this for a few weeks before the challenge began, because I noticed how distracted I became with just having my computer on. If I walked by it, I would think of just "one more thing" I needed to look up or check on.
These are just a few practical things the Lord has shown me. I am not perfect and there certainly were bumps in the road this week. But I feel so grateful to be groomed by the Lord in this area. Looking forward to week 2!

Comments

Popular Posts