All About May



The month of May was SO full, that it's taken me over 3 months to reflect on it all, while navigating a summer that has been 3 times as full.  Here's why: 

We had our first homeschool graduate!!!

That's right! My oldest daughter, our firstborn child, graduated from high school through our family's homeschool, Chelmont Academy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Senior Pic

What a beautifully sweet day that was--just like my daughter, a beautiful person--inside and out--and just as sweet as ever.  She opted for a small ceremony at home, just the 10 of us, with close family and friends attending via Zoom.  We decorated our foyer with balloons and pretty things, setting the scene for our first graduation.  Husband and I even donned our own graduation regalia, as instructor and principle. Here was some of the day in pics.

Excited little sisters trying out standing at the podium before the ceremony--and before mama shooed them away from it!

Mama's make-up prep



Getting that hat just right!

A father's blessing upon his daughter . . . not a dry eye.
This was such a heartfelt moment.

Diploma conferred


Diploma cover . . . we loved how it turned out!


Little sisters

Little brothers


I posted this picture because I realized my oldest son had dodged the camera, as is his custom. (LOL)
I found this pic though, as my daughter was opening a few gifts after the ceremony.

Each family member had a part in the ceremony:

  • Baby girl--stay quiet and out of all the things😉
  • Siblings with small presentations of a few of my daughter's favorites: favorite animal facts, a quote from Little Women (favorite book), a bit of prose, and her favorite Bible verse (Romans 8: 38-39)
  • Mama's reflections as instructor
  • Daddy's reflections as principal and his charge to the graduate

And let me tell you, the charge and blessing Husband laid upon my sweet girl's life was so heartfelt and so precious and so profound--it made just about every one of us cry. 

It has been such an honor and a privilege to raise my daughter in the context of God, family and home.  I have learned so much over the years--being mama to her has meant 18 years of many, many firsts.  When she was in my womb, I walked away from the career trajectory I thought I was on, becoming what this world calls a stay-at-home mother.  It was one of the best moves ever!  Really, that move was me answering the call of God to fully operate within the role He made for me as His daughter: wife, mama, homemaker and family educator.  Obedience to Him has resulted in blessings upon my children. 

What makes it all the more special is that she expressed this very same sentiment to me of her own accord.  She told me how much it's meant to her to flourish at home and to learn and grow in a safe place.  She thanked her father and me for being available to her, encouraging her along the way.  I am so grateful that God has given me such a task in raising her.  And, contrary to the culture of this world, I do not believe my mothering her is complete simply because she is 18 years old.  Mothering may change, but it does not stop.  I trust that the seeds I faithfully plant and cultivate as a mother today, God will use and increase, reaping a lasting harvest far beyond my own life.  

*********************************************************************************

Well guys, that's not all!  Guess what?!?!?!?  (Run-on sentence to follow. . . )

My daughter also graduated with her Associate of Science degree in Engineering, from a local community college, through a dual enrollment program, while she was in our homeschool high school!!!!




Ladies, when I tell you, my baby girl put in work, I mean she put in W O R K!! We are so grateful for the duty, dedication, and diligence she exemplified during this process.  It was a strong example for her younger siblings.  She shared with her father and me that this process was a faith-builder for her, as she has learned first-hand to never place her trust in her own abilities, but to place her trust in God alone.

We are thankful for these additional tools the LORD has allowed her to place in her toolbox, so to speak: her high school diploma and an associate's degree.  However, they join many other tools she has gained along the way, like integrity, learning to drive, devotion to God, patience, service, love of family, homemaking skills, stewardship, Biblical wisdom, true womanhood, and learning to balance the demands of home life, among others.  

I mention these other things as well because they are no less important--and are arguably more important--than earning degrees and the accolades of man and man-made institutions.  We don't seek to educate our children according to the ways of this world.  In other words, academic achievements must be kept within the proper context, which is: How does this help me bring glory to God?  How does this coincide with God's will for my life?  

We do not emphasize things like: This degree will make me rich or drive fancy cars or pay for dream vacations, etc.  More specifically, we have not raised our daughter to acquire all the debt, chase after money, titles or a career, seek fame or to pursue self in exchange for shunning the duties of the home life that she may be called to one day.  Being a wife, mother, and homemaker are not incompatible with an education when all things are brought under the lordship of Christ.  

Proper context, proper prospective, right priorities, according to His Word. 

***********************************************************************************

We are so thankful to God that He knows best and for how He's brought us thus far! 

To A L L who have lovingly supported us down through the years--prayers before the Father, all the texts, sweet social media comments, sharing ideas, answering questions, phone calls, love, hugs, gifts, encouraging words, smiles, blog posts, more prayers--friends, family, and loved ones near and far: 

T H A N K  Y O U! ❤


How did your last homeschool year go?  Did any of your children graduate?  Do you intend to homeschool through high school?

Comments

Popular Posts