Feast of Tabernacles

We celebrated/remembered the Feast of Tabernacles (in Hebrew, Sukkot) for the past few days. Our celebration ended on Tuesday.
As we prepped our hearts for celebrating this Feast,
we Praised God because He is our Shelter and our Provider
in every wilderness we encounter in this life. . .our Tabernacle.

We enjoyed celebrating and learning the Scriptures concerning this time. This Feast is so full of rich, spiritual treasures, it's hard to grasp all of it's beauty and delight: agricultural, historical, Israel, spiritual, prophetic, Messiah, 2nd Coming, Immanuel (God with us), sanctuary, Water, wilderness, shelter, indwelling, Holy Spirit, rain, Provider, King Jesus, Jerusalem, Shekinah Glory, thanksgiving....  The parallels between the Old and New Testaments are endless, with Messianic foreshadowing--as I tell my children, Jesus was always coming!--and with much to look forward to in the future. *SIGH* I could go on and on, but I won't overwhelm you! Plus, I'm still learning things myself.

Hard-to-see SUKKOT banner hanging near our kitchen table

We didn't build our own "tabernacle" (Hebrew, sukkah) or pitch a tent.
Instead, we used our covered patio
and ate some of meals throughout the week there.


And you shall take for yourselves on the first day the fruit of beautiful trees,
branches of palm trees, the boughs of leafy trees,
and willows of the brook;
and you shall rejoice before the Lord your God for seven days.
-Leviticus 23:40


My oldest daughter and I try to decorate a bit with our leafy branches.





It is just breath-taking to know that the very God that controls the universe longs to dwell among His people, over and over: in the Tabernacle of Old, in the Incarnate Jesus the Christ, and through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. It reminds me of a song that says, "Live in me, Jesus... Have Your way in me..." He is a God who is close and near to His people.



One final beautiful note. . .
Traditionally, during the Feast of Tabernacles, the priests of Old would teach about water and its life-giving ways and thank God for the early rain and a good harvest. Then, they would pray for the latter rain, for the ground to be saturated in preparation for the future season of sowing and planting. In the midst of all this "water teaching", the Savior declares Himself to be the Source of life-giving, thirst- quenching waters! Whew!

My heart is looking forward to the day when He will return to dwell among us (tabernacle with us) as King. Praise the Lord, oh my soul!

Comments

Popular Posts