Summertime: A Different Kind of Rest



When summertime hits, for some of us, it's all about the beach or the pool, family vacations, or simply a break from the regular routine. I would love to lounge poolside every day and catch up on some good reading or to have an extended vacation and dig in sandy shores all day. However, that is not this summer's reality, here at home with my sweet children. We have been intentional in taking a break from our regular routine, adding a bit of fun and surprise each day. Nothing big or super fancy, but definitely noticeable….like pancakes on a Wednesday, when we normally have them on Saturdays. Or, nap time “sleepover” in the living room, with popcorn and a movie. (Sometimes twice a week: once for the big kids and once for the little kids.)


While my children are resting and recharging, I recognize that I need to do the same, but in a different way. Here are two ways that I am recharging this summer: 1) reading God's Word and 2) organizing all sorts of things.


I know. That probably wasn't what you thought I was going to say, but it has brought a peace to my soul that was very much needed.


God's Word
As Believers we know that we get our rest, our refueling, our peace, our confidence, our sanity through the truth of God's word. Summer has come to be a time where I can focus on my own Scripture memory, learning passages by heart. It's a time when I can dig deep to study and search out answers, giving greater attention to some heartfelt matters. I can read a book in the Bible that I haven't read through yet, or participate in an online Bible study. Simply put, I can take my time and drink in the Word, not feeling rushed by my checklist of to-do's for the day.


Organizing
So the last point may be easier to understand why it brings me rest. This point may be a harder sell; just stay with me. When mom is unorganized, she does not have peace. . .at least this is true in my household. So summertime affords me the opportunity to get rid of things I don't need, to give attention to household tasks I've neglected, to organize school material in preparation for the coming year, to give away clothing and shoes that don't fit, to pass down to the next child clothing and shoes that do fit. I can take the time to organize things that have become a bit frazzled by the end of the school year.


I believe that wanting things “just so” is part of our make-up as women. We are in our element in our homes, as our homes are our domain. Scripture advises us to watch over the ways of our households (Proverbs 31:27). For me, when things pile up because of busyness or even due to necessity, those areas actually become an irritation in the back of my mind because I know they fall under my domain and are my responsibility. Organization recharges and energizes me, because I feel accomplished when I see the progress being made. It also gives me a clean slate to work with in preparation for the adjustments surrounding the start of a new school year.


********
So far, I'm off to a good start with resting this summer. I have memorized Colossians 3:1-8, am reading through the book of Leviticus (after finishing Jude and Philemon), and studying Biblical feasts, as well as Christian head covering.


I have organized my little ones’ closets and the toy closet (again). I've handled a number of small to-do's, am revamping my cleaning routine, while planning high school down to 1st grade for the coming year.


Peace of mind, y'all.



Also posted at Our Homeschool Forum.

Comments

  1. I read Jude this morning and will probably reread it a few times this week. Not sure what I'll read next.

    I can relate to both of these ways to rest. I was able to read for pleasure a bit more at the beginning of the summer, but now I have shifted to a true refueling.

    I enjoyed this post.

    When will you all start back school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the beautiful painting of flowers you created on IG. . . nice refueling!!!

      We will start back sometime in August. . .I am narrowing down the date, but nothing set, as I am still planning.

      Delete
  2. Hi Stacie,
    I understand this type of rest. I enjoyed this blog post and I am so proud of you. Love you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcomed!!

Popular Posts