Patient Enough to Homeschool



I'm sure I'm not the only homeschooling mom that's been told by a non-homeschooling mom,
"I don't see how you can do it! I'm just not patient enough to homeschool!"
And my immediate thought is, "What makes you think I'm patient enough?!" Clearly this dear woman hasn't heard my "gruffy voice," as my kids call it, when things aren't going according to plan.

Somewhere out there in Mommy-land, non-homeschooling mothers automatically assume that homeschooling moms have been endowed with some supernatural host of powers, including an ever-flowing, overflowing cup of patience, that not only allows them to stay at home with their own children, but educate them, too!

News flash: there are no super powers--except the power of God.

The truth is homeschooling moms are moms first, which means we are human, too. We love our children dearly but some days they drive us up the wall.We don't have it together all the time, our babies wake up a bazillion times each night, too and we'd rather not have to unclog toilets while drilling math facts. We are also trying to be the best wives, mothers, and homeschool teachers, while balancing homemaking, cooking dinner, running errands, nap times, school work, volunteering, date night, and on and on.
Source Unknown
So what's the secret? Why are we wild enough to want to be with our kids all day, every day?

Well, I'll speak for myself and say. . .
It's the power of God that enables me to remain committed. Plain and simple.

You see, on this Christian journey, we are to develop patience, let it grow and mature.
"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him." -James 1:2-5
This suggests that none of us are just given all the patience we need up front. It is something that must be cultivated, that we need the Holy Spirit to work within (Galatians 5:22). And let me tell you, being at home and teaching all of my children is certainly an opportunity for just that.

So for the mom who will allow her faith to be tried, stretched and tested by staying at home and teaching her children, the reward is a bit more patience coupled with wisdom. Nope, it doesn't come easy, but the fruit it produces makes the work worth doing.

I realize that one day the baby will sleep through the night and nursing sessions will end. One day my little one won't need help with getting dressed or letters. I know that one day my child will take over reading the stories and math facts will be memorized.  They'll go on to writing term papers and higher learning and beyond. As the old saying goes: the days are long, but the years are short. Homeschooling and time just spent together allows you the chance to seize every opportunity with your children and make the most of it.

So, to the mamas out there who are considering homeschooling but feel you don't have what it takes--I'm here to tell you that all you need is a willing heart. Know that God has called you Mother and will give you everything you need to raise your children up before Him, including educating them at home. You can do this.

Don't worry about having enough patience, it will come.

Originally written for Our Homeschool Forum.

Comments

  1. Such a sweet post. :) I remember the days when I would be so impatient that I would go to do laundry just so I could slam the doors on the washer and dryer! Awe, sweet patience. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I can't imagine you slamming washer and dryer doors! Lol But this is real life and patience must be developed in us all.

      Delete
  2. Oh this is a wonderful post and every word so true! I even laughed out loud a few times, what makes us so wild? Lol! I never thought of it like that! I've loved Every minute of homeschooling, that's not to say every minute's been lovely but I think you know exactly what I mean.;) Thank you for blessing me with another beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Yes, we are wild! :) I certainly know what you mean..I love how you worded that; it totally captures the essence of homeschooling.

      Delete
  3. Amen and Amen. I agree that all it takes is a willing heart. My husband and I never, ever thought about homeschooling our son. It wasn't even a blip on our radar. To be honest, we thought homeschoolers were a little strange. But when our son was 3, both my husband and I began having thoughts of homeschooling, strong thoughts, as in...DO THIS. We couldn't imagine putting him in school all day, away from us, and essentially someone else raising him throughout the day. He would be exposed daily to the ideas and values of the teachers and those around him rather than the ones our family had. We strongly felt that God was leading us to homeschool. We began in our son's preschool years and never looked back. He is now 11 and in the 6th grade, although we are working on 7th grade studies in some subjects since we work at his pace. I can say without a doubt that by following God's guidance for us, homeschooling has been one of the biggest blessings in our lives. It's wonderful to have the conversations that we have, spend the time together during the day, work side by side on studies and electives, and my son has the freedom to pursue things that interest him. I have seen God change me through my homeschool journey so far, giving me more patience and helping me to become a better parent, person, and Christian. I am so thankful that we obeyed God's strong nudging and followed his lead to homeschool. If we had ignored that, and continued on the path of putting our son in public school we would have missed out on one of the biggest blessings that has shaped our lives for the good in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God for the blessings He has given to you and your family through homeschooling. I, too, have experienced many of the same blessings, particularly the maturation in Christ and in my walk with Him. Take care, Lynn!

      Delete
  4. this is so perfectly written ! you took the words that are in my heart and put them in this beautiful post . thanks for this sharing this wisdom with the world about what homeschooling families are about.
    leticia from north-forty-ninth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leticia, thank you so much. God bless you!

      Delete
  5. I often read James to keep going followed up by Philippians. Your post is so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Latonya! I am very fond of the book of James--ever since the Good Morning Girls study.

      Delete
  6. Good morning! This is just a little note to let you know that this post has been FEATURED today on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! Thank you for joining us and we would love to have you link up again this week. Love, JES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JES, thank you for the featuring this post--sweet! I will link up again soon. Thank you for hosting a great link up.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcomed!!

Popular Posts