Long Winter Break

Sunrise in the woods out back

Here we are in a new calendar year, year 2021, with our whole lives in His hands.  Amidst all the junk and chaos found in this world that presses in on us trying to invade our serenity, I am glad my anchor holds fast and secure in Jesus.  Ladies, let us remember truth as we head into this new year.

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.
-Solid Rock

Well, we have just returned to our regular routine this past week after having enjoyed a long winter break.  Husband took a little bit of leave from work around mid-December, my older girls finished out their finals, and we all took a deep sigh, welcoming in a time of rest.  

We thoroughly enjoyed a very relaxed and simple schedule.  We slept in a little longer and eased into our  mornings.  We lit the fire place most evenings (love!), we baked, we played all the board games we could, we watched a little TV, read books, and continued crafting. I would have to say that my favorite parts were sunrise chats with Husband--beautiful, colorful sunrises and sweet conversation.  Praise the LORD.



Saltine toffee candy in the making


One of our read-aloud books is The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis.  My older children remembered that we also had the movie on DVD, realizing that our younger children had not seen it before.  Let's just say it became an instant favorite--I can't tell you how many times they watched it!  What I liked most were the discussions that have taken place since about the parallels and symbolism to our Christian faith.  

Classic snowman door


We remembered the Birth of Jesus, and had a good ol' time loving one another. We had our annual Christmas-time treasure hunt.  This is where Husband creates a story about our children who have been enlisted on a mission to save the precious treasure (a box full of snacks) from some goofy threat (like super sticky marshmallows). We hide various clues all throughout the house and all the children, young and old, work together to find each one. So much fun!
However . . . 

We have been prayerful about our actions and in celebrating Christmas.  Why?  We hope to honor Christ, and Him alone, in everything we do.  

Let me be clear: there is nothing wrong with remembering, celebrating, and thanking God for the Birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus, who is the Christ.  Glory be to God, Jesus came!!!  And, I will never, ever look down upon someone who truly honors Christ in his heart and expresses joy over His birth.  Never. 

Oh, come let us adore Him, Christ the Lord!

Yet, I can't shake the fact that most of the practices and traditions surrounding Christmas (held near and dear by most Christians--myself included) have so many ungodly origins, and that root of evil continues to rear its ugly head.  Even the very date that was chosen to commemorate His Birth was not Bible-based, but was rooted in the pagan, political sways of that era.  Friends, as the LORD continues this blessed process of sanctification in my heart, as a Believer, I am compelled to pause, pray, consider, research, know the truth for myself, and not blindly follow after traditions. I hope to share more on these thoughts another time.

Big brother helping little sisters put a game board together
Big sister helping little brothers build a train

Anyway, with the sweet blessing of having taken a break behind us, we are in full swing now and all the things are happening.  My oldest girls are busy as one is completing a virtual driver's ed course, while the other signed up for a condensed January term at the community college.  The Master bath toilet needed to be reset (something about a flange and a screw).  My baby girl had nurse maid's elbow, caused by my baby girl just older than her, which I had the pleasure of resetting myself! For those that may not know, I have a degree in Sports Medicine & Allied Heath.  This should not have made me weak in the knees, but it did!!!! Little baby girl and big brawny football player are two different worlds.

Alphabet flashcards

Map work 

Condensed, online class

Handwriting practice, with the best colorful bunch of grapes ever

Little ones waiting for their turns for one-on-one time

And lastly, my great-uncle Andrew passed away last week.  If you know about the rocking chair story from my Instagram, he is brother to my great-uncle Marvin and to my Granny.  

Uncle Andrew was the last of the siblings to pass, 6 in all: 
Willie James- big booming personality, with a voice to match, first in the family to graduate from college 
Annie Laura- my beloved Granny who forever left the stamp of Christ on my soul, a giant in the Faith
Andrew Frank- meticulous photographer (he took my wedding pictures) and family storyteller
Emma Jane- child care provider with a heart for children, Auntie to all
Mac Henry- licensed barber and owner of his own barber shop
Jesse Marvin- pastor and avid fisherman--for food and for souls

So many memories, so many stories, so much love for family.  These were my grandmother (my dad's mother) and her siblings, yet I grew up around all of them all the time--the precious blessing of extended family who care to be near.  They were a close-knit group of siblings, all living in the same city, most just minutes from one another.  They openly showed their love for family (and for me, specifically) and their love for the LORD, all the time.  I have been reflecting on their lives and I am so grateful to have known and to have been loved by each one of them. 

So teach us to number our days,
That we may gain a heart of wisdom.
Psalm 90:12


Comments

  1. Oh, how I wish you were nearby! We've had to deal with nursemaid's elbow twice. . . and never inflicted by a nursemaid, but a very slightly older child. We've always had to go to a doctor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jody, same here. This is our 2nd nursemaid elbow! Both caused by siblings. I do wish we lived closer, though! ❤There's more space/land in your neck of the woods.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like so many good things are going on in your home, Stacie. What blessings! Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Nicole! God is good. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stacie, I enjoy your posts. It is wonderful to see your family growing in the Lord. May the Lord continue to bless the effors of you and your husband and bear much fruit for God's glory.
    Here is a link from the podcast, Ask Pastor John, that might be helpful in your considerations on celebrating Christmas. https://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/is-christmas-too-pagan-for-christians?utm_campaign=Ask+Pastor+John&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=104319974&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8bYQU5RKTlygIXiG213FiUbI2bykX9mp50_gOAoGiwVZmOg7xplFZ7amwbV2taYBUuz347mC9JBVy1kkZn0Okl9Jpmwg&utm_content=104319974&utm_source=hs_email
    Georgia Leeper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Georgia! Thank you for stopping to comment. I see your name pop up on my FB page and I do appreciate your support. Thank you for your prayers, that God would bless us to grow fruit for His glory. May He do the same thing for you and your family.
      And, thanks for posting the link about Christmas. Take care, Georgia. 💗

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcomed!!

Popular Posts