Starting Up Again: Homeschooling After a Break





Many homeschoolers have enjoyed taking a break from school to celebrate the Birth of our Lord and New
Year's Day with their families and friends. After all the special memories made, fellowship, good food and
merriment, it can be difficult to get into the swing of things again. January stretches out before us, a roll of
endless winter days. Most of us know that we have all the way until May or June before the closing of the
academic year. How do we get back on track??


Know Where You Left Off
I know I am guilty of and declaring at the end of one our school days, We’re finished until such and such
date! And I haven’t always stopped to check every assignment or subject because we are all in break
mode. So, to begin again, it starts with me. I have to take one or two days before resuming to note where
we left off. I get caught up with any assignments that need to be checked so I know exactly where each
child will begin in each subject.


Ease Back into the Routine
I do NOT recommend just jumping back in, feet first, full-steam ahead with sit-down instruction. Instead,
take a couple of days to gently practice getting back into a basic time routine, minus the school work:
waking up at regular time, putting nap times back in place, having meals at their regular times, chores and
housework, bedtime is back on schedule, etc.


During school breaks--and especially when my husband is off from work--our days and nights run into
each other. We love the fun and out-of-the routine adventure that Daddy brings with a school break. So,
we enjoy every bit of it. Sometimes breakfast isn’t until 10:00 am and bedtime isn’t until midnight. Some
days we are out getting yummy treats or visiting family, and on others we are playing games and watching
movies all day. As relaxing as it is, I have learned over the years to ease back into our normal routine by
simply getting the times right beforehand.


A Few Subjects at a Time
This isn’t a new one to homeschoolers as we usually begin our academic year this way, so why not use
it after a long break? Instead of teaching all subjects to all children on the first day back, we start with
Math and some language arts combo, like spelling and reading. We add in another subject or two every
other day or so until our homeschool is fully operating again.


Limit Disruptions
For the first few weeks after a big break, I try to keep our outside commitments to a minimum. We stay
at home most days for the first couple of weeks. I like to focus my children’s attention without being
pulled in different directions. The slow pace and restful days of the wintertime are perfect for that.


These are the things that I apply, not just after holidays, but any time there’s a break from my normal
homeschooling routine. Happy schooling!


How do you resume homeschooling after there’s been a break from your routine?
What helps you get your homeschool going again?




Comments

  1. Yes, I am like you with limiting disruptions the first few weeks of school. I also agree with paring down subjects. I found that we had been doing too many so it's a lot easier and keeps us sane when we only cover 3 or 4 per day- sometimes less! That is hard for us because we like so many topics and curriculum :-) Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcomed!!

Popular Posts