Fall Decor, Panic at the Library and Yes, They're All Mine (A Video)


HMJ Logo Landscape 500x337

  • In my life this week…

  • I was added as a Guest Contributor at a new homeschooling website: Our Homeschool Forum. I am so excited!! Do check out the website when you can for encouragement and support along your homechooling journey. Good stuff!

    Aslo, I'm getting my house work back on track and it feels good. September was mostly dedicated to finding a good rhythm in our homeschool schedule and potty training the toddler!! Since those two things are coming along pretty well, I'm able to weave in a better approach to my house work. Exciting stuff, huh?! I even did a little fall decorating!

    Kitchen table--simple center piece

    Top of our old wood-burning stove (not in use at the moment!)
    Want to know how to make a fabric pumpkins, click HERE!
  • In our homeschool this week…

  • Learning about: telling time, outlining, why milk spoils in a warm place, Sargon, King Henry the VIII, Martin Luther and the Reformation, adjectives, capitalizing proper nouns, colors, and numbers, among other things. FUN, FUN, FUN!! I am so grateful that we get the opportunity to homeschool--I learn so much every day!

  • Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

  • If you have old text books from your college days lying around, see if you can put them to use in your homeschool. My husband and I (college sweethearts!) saved a good number of our books. My husband took a music appreciation class and he had a text book that came with a 6 CD set of classical music. Guess what I'm using for our music curriculum this year?!?!?!

    It is a blessing because the book coincides beautifully with our history (classical approach), as it showcases music from the Medieval times to the present. So I am able to discuss with my children what types of sounds and instruments and musical patterns were common to certain styles of music, based upon the time period. We are having a ball with it! Too bad it just sat on my shelf the first 2 years of homeschooling! But now I feel super cool because music is happening in a less haphazard way around here.

  • Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

  • We went to the library on Monday and for some reason it was SUPER quiet! I mean, come on, we were in the children's section, so we usually hear a bit of chatter or back ground noise from other little ones. But not this time. My 5 were the only young kids in the entire children's section and the other people looked to be teens or young adults, busily and QUIETLY working at the computer stations. So, of course, this is the day my toddler wanted to pull every book off of the shelf and all of a sudden, the baby hated being in the stroller.

    At first I thought about panicking and then I thought about retreating, and of course all eyes were on me. I sent my girls help me look for a few history books. I had my oldest son give the baby a bottle (the baby was still in the stroller). I gave the toddler a book he could look at and I grabbed history and literature books as best as I could while it seemed everyone was occupied.

    That didn't last very long. The toddler dropped his book--uninterested. The baby drank the last of his bottle and my oldest son didn't know what to do. The girls returned, unable to find some of the books I asked them to look for. Yep, panic and retreat was definitely next on the to-do list--we were just SO noisy and I just couldn't manage to calm everyone down.

    And then the Holy Spirit reminded me that this is my life: a bit noisy, sometimes awkward, sometimes a distraction to others, always full, but none of it is ever without Him. I could either use this moment to reflect His grace or be mad that it wasn't going smoothly. Well, I picked the baby up, told my toddler to quiet down (again) and I took a deep breath. I told the Holy Spirit that I was thankful for all 5 of my noisy children, and then I chuckled at myself because I probably looked funny in that particular moment of "panic/retreat/how do I keep everyone quiet!" But, I paced myself, readjusted my attitude and pressed forward.

    My older 3 went on to find books they were looking for. I managed to get most of the things we needed to supplement for school and we made it through. Nope, the baby never went back into the stroller until it was time to leave (He's 23 pounds, y'all!! Yes, I felt the burn in my arms! LOL). The toddler still was determined to use his outside voice. But, the deal-maker was deciding to continue on with my day, not to get frustrated and trust that God was using me in that moment for some good. Yep, a day in the life at the library!! LOL

  • My favorite thing this week was…

  • Going out to dinner, twice. Thanks, Husband!

  • My kiddos' favorite thing this week was…

  • Donuts!!! My husband was off from work on Friday. Any time he's off of work, it usually that means he buys donuts for the kids during school. Well, daddy didn't disappoint and they were thrilled.

  • I’m cooking…

  • My girls want to make fortune cookies. Today, they spent some time writing out the "fortunes" which are really turning out to be things to make each other laugh. Hopefully we can actually bake the cookies next week.

  • I’m grateful for…

  • This lovely, beautiful, sweet fall weather.

  • I’m praying for…

  • My family.

  • I rewarded my kids this week by…

  • I let them have ice cream after breakfast one morning. It was fun, it was silly, it was totally out of the norm! But, they're good kids and I love them. :)

  • A photo, video, link, or quote to share... 

  • This video pretty much sums up the things that go on in my head, too, when someone questions why my children exist (nicely worded, "our family size"), IN FRONT OF MY CHILDREN! (Still requesting prayer to respond each time in a manner that pleases God.)



    Comments

    1. LOL Love your video! I only have 3 and sometimes *I* get questions about having "so many"!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Jessy, isn't that something?! When did 3 become a huge number?? :)
        Thanks for visiting!

        Delete
    2. I love that my library has the children's section actually behind closed doors, makes it so much less stressful! And I LOVE this video. Hubs and I have five kids too. Of course, we don't get the looks like most get because our kids are 24-6. Spaced out has its advantages LOL. Not that I've ever really cared what people thought about our family size. They weren't planned by us, they were planned by God. And I could be the poster child for abstinence because all but one was conceived using some method of birth control. But I can't imagine life without a single one of them and like she said in the video, I actually like my kids.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Adena,
        Me, too. . .I actually like my kids!!! It amazes me how poorly people speak of their OWN children. Thanks for stopping by!

        Delete
    3. Love the video! Thanks for sharing it. We have 4 children and I have been asked numerous times "are they all yours?" :-( You are quite an inspiration on how your handled the library situation. Good for you! And, the ice cream after breakfast was awesome. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind comments. Many blessings, Lisa :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yep, I started getting that question, too, once we got to #4.
        The library that day. . .definitely a challege!!! Thanks for coming by, Lisa. Take care!

        Delete
    4. Hi, I enjoyed this post! I am so proud of you and your accomplishments!!! Love you MUCH :)
      Mom

      ReplyDelete
    5. Last week was our "meltdown at the library" day, too! And I only have two... it was my almost 3-year-old who decided to throw a fit over the fact that he couldn't touch the play station he had evidently been looking forward to playing with. :-p It was put back behind the librarian's desk. Aaaaanyway, I stayed as long as I could and then retreated. I love your reminder about the Holy Spirit being there with us, it's encouraging and something I will remember next time (oh please not soon).

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I hear you, Lindsey. I made it through that one, but I'm not really wanting another one any time soon! :)
        Thanks for stopping by.

        Delete
    6. Hi Stacie!!

      I am glad I visited your blog this morning. The video you posted of was hilarious(: I am glad all is well with you and your family. My family and I are doing fine.

      Take care lady!!!

      ReplyDelete
    7. GERTHA!!!!!! Hey!
      So glad to "see" you here. :) That video is hilarious, isn't it? It even had my husband cracking up! I'm glad you stopped by and it's good to hear that you all are well.

      Take care!!
      -Stacie

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Comments are always welcomed!!

    Popular Posts