Kids for the Kingdom

When it comes to our little ones, there is so much out there on how we should raise them: parenting magazines and books, popular belief, societal opinions, and the list goes on and on. But how would God have us mothers nurture our children? What type of children should we be raising? My humble desire is to do my best to raise my kids for the Kingdom.

"Let the little children come to Me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these" (Mark 10:14).

Rear my children: (1) to raise upright, (2) to cause to grow through labor and care, (3) to bring to maturity or self-sufficiency through nurturing and education, (4) to form by putting together parts or materials. (1, 2)

"Then our sons in their youth will be like well-nurtured plants, and our daughters will be like pillars carved to adorn a palace." (Psalm 144:12)

Train my children: (1) to direct the growth of, (2) to form by instruction or discipline, (3) to teach so as to make one fit, qualified or proficient, (4) to point or turn toward a target or goal. (34)

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." (Proverbs 22:6)

I am not simply raising my children to have good manners, or giving them enough instruction so they behave well in public, or to be little robots that say "yes ma'am" and "no sir" on command. My ultimate goal shouldn't be that they read by a certain age, or speak several languages, or have successful careers some day. All of these things have their proper places and seasons, and I am not against them. But what about my role in the Eternal?

Dear Mothers, we are cultivating a future generation for Christ. We are raising future husbands and wives, mothers and fathers, men and women of God. . . but it begins with us (along side our husbands, of course!). Being intentional, diligent and consistent. Raising our children on purpose. Shaping, molding, teaching, caring, loving them. . .biblically. . .daily.


No, it is not easy. Yes, it gets hard sometimes. But, oh the joy of one day seeing your child accept Christ as Savior! Or the blessing of your godly girl become a graceful woman, ready to love and care for her family! Or the gift of your godly boy become a man of wisdom, leading his family in the ways of God!

There is a reward on the other side. Be encouraged, Moms; our labor is not in vain!

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." (Galatians 6:9)

{This post is linked here on RaisingHomemakers.com}

Comments

  1. Stacie, everything you said is so true, sounds like it should be easy but it's actually really hard. My girls have the attention span of .5seconds and I still can't get them to sit still for anything...not even to eat. I worry about not making more time or find ways to teach them about Jesus without making it difficult or boring. I just pray for enlightenment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marisol, I know exactly what you mean! I've worried about having a set, structured Bible study time with my kids. Am I teaching them enough? Do they understand? Are they even listening to me? LOL But what I've found is my kids learn about Jesus through many different ways; not only through Bible study. Sometimes it's a small conversation, a song while I'm cooking, a flower that happened to grow in the yard, even the weather. I try to just use the little, day-to-day moments as teaching moments to show them how God is right there in those moments (even if it only lasts for 30 seconds!). Be encouraged, Marisol! Pray for me and I'll pray for you. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcomed!!

Popular Posts