Motherhood & Reading God's Word (Part 2)



So, you really want to read God’s Word every day but aren’t sure where to start. To begin, we must change our thinking.

Reject the idea that you are too busy or don’t have time.
We know that reading God’s Word is God’s will for us. The Scriptures teach us:

 “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’”
Matthew 4:4
***
Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You.
Psalm 119:11
***
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16-17

And since reading His Word is God’s will for us, then we must see to it. A popular quote by Elisabeth Elliot says, “There is always time to do the will of God. If we are too busy to do that, we are too busy.” Bit by bit throughout the day, we can create the habit, right in the midst of what we’re doing.
Here’s how...

Keep a Bible open all day.
When something is accessible, we tend to use it more often. I remember my Granny always having her Bible open at the dining room table or on the shelf near her seat at the table, ready to use. I remember her facial expression as she would look up at me to answer a question or tell me something. I remember how she would turn the worn pages back and forth. I remember seeing the pages of her Bible marked by her hand-written notes and underlined passages. She diligently studied God’s Word.

So, I’ve learned over the years to just keep my Bible open--on the kitchen counter, on the dining room table, in the school room, etc.--just keep it open to whatever passage I’m reading. For me, the kitchen counter or dining room table are my go-to places for having the Word available all day. These places tend to be the hub of my home anyway, which makes God’s Word easy to read while I’m waiting for something to bake or cook, or for a litte whie at the end of a meal.

Align Bible reading with something you already do.
What is the first thing you can think of that must be done daily? Eating! And that is the perfect time to read God’s Word, which kind of coincides with Matthew 4:4 above, doesn’t it? Read while you eat, and since most of us are eating as a family, read together!

We read our Bibles toward the end of breakfast time each day as the unofficial start to our homeschool day. We’ve invested to make sure each child who is able to read has their own Bible. (For my non-readers, we use a good picture Bible.) We make sure everyone is reading from the same translation and we dig in together. (Note: Never underestimate the power of the Holy Spirit to speak to and influence your children as you read through meaty passages. No need to skip them or alter them. God’s Word is for children, too. He will increase their understanding, just as He does yours!)

Another thing we all do each day is to use the bathroom, yes? And, how many of us moms, if we’re honest, have gone to the bathroom simply for a few minutes alone, or for quiet and refreshing? Well, while you’re in there, get some time in the Word. . .which means the bathroom is another place where you can just leave the Bible open. See how this works?

What should I read?
Before I give my opinion to this question, remember what the Scripture teach us in 2 Timothy 2:16-17:
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine,
for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

So, there is no wrong answer. All of God’s Word is good to read.

What I’ve been doing lately is to read all the way through books of the Bible that I’m not familiar with or am trying to gain a more thorough understanding of. I will read just a few verses each day, generally using the headers that are available in most Bibles these days as starting and stopping points. If what I read at one point is something I need a deeper understanding of, I will read it again the next time. I also will take the time to look up other verses that may coincide with the passage for greater understanding before continuing on.

I have read through Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, John, and Hebrews using this method. I am currently reading the book of Isaiah, bit by bit. The children and I read through the book of John over the summer and fall. This has been so helpful in increasing my understanding, allowing me to soak up God’s Word and not be overwhelmed.

Other places to begin reading may be:
Start with Genesis and move forward.
Read Proverbs and Psalms or begin with one of the Gospels.
Read something you never read like the minor prophets, the book of Jude or Revelation.
Above all, ask the Holy Spirit to guide you and He will.

Memorize Scripture
This is another one that is easily family friendly. I choose Scriptures that are essential to our faith and doctrine as Believers that we learn as a family. We work on memorizing these verses at breakfast or lunch, just working on one verse until we know it before moving on to the next. Some mom’s post Scripture verses up throughout the house to see what they are memorizing regularly: on the fridge, in pretty font on the wall, posted on the bathroom mirror, sticky notes, etc. It will surprise you just how much you are able to retain!

I hope you are encouraged more than ever to read God’s Word regularly. You’d be surprised at how much the Word will resonate with your spirit as you fill it up with what God wants for you. Never underestimate the power of the Holy Spirit as He goes about making God’s Word alive in your heart!

Your word is a lamp to my feet
And a light to my path.
-Psalm 119:105

How do you incorporate reading God’s Word into your daily rhythm?


Comments

  1. Yeshua is the lover of my soulAugust 31, 2020 at 9:16 AM

    Hello, mama of 6 children here. The father recently showed my husband that I was in need of alone time with the father. I completely agree with you where in you write on pt.1 that if we depend on the season of motherhood that we are in to put our bibles aside we risk developing a habit of not reading his word. This happened to me. I'm a homeschooling mom to 6 children ages 15 to 3 years of age. I allowed my being to busy to interfere with my personal prayer life and bible study. Well this year has been a pretty crazy year to say the least but the father is doing a mighty work as well in the lives of believers..he showed my husband and I how we were asleep so to speak on the way that where... we believe in him and pray but our hearts were not really there..lukewarm.
    We began to seek him and began to consistently read his word as a family, through turning to him and in repentance the father placed a renewed fire in our hearts and love for his word. We have faithfully been in his word ever sense. My husband now asks me almost daily if I have had time with the father..if I say that I haven't had time just yet he will say go ahead into your prayer closet I will keep the children and make sure your not distracted. The father showed him how vital my time with the Lord is! This has blessed me so much! I'm able to fully take advantage of this time to read,pray, worship. This has really restored to me the joy of the Lord's salvation. Now I try my best to get up before the children and have time in prayer and reading because the joy and love has been restored...and we make important to us what we love. When I'm interrupted in the morning, because we will be, we are mama's lol! my husband blesses me with a little extra time in the afternoon. The Lord is so good and this is just a snippet of our testimony. Your words about taking advantage of any moment that we can to hide the fathers words in our heart is so true. We can not make excuses or allow"life" to cause us fall asleep spiritually so to speak. He is the most important truth in our lives. I'm reminded of the scripture seek first the kingdom of God and all his righteousness and all of these things shall be added unto you! Amen! Have a blessed week! You are such an encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, sweet mama!!
      Somehow, I am just now seeing this wonderful comment. As I read your words, I was nodding my head all along th way. What a blessing that God has restored your joy in His Word and that your Husband is faithful to give you the time you need to study it. What a blessing that is in your family life--I love it!!! Thank you for stopping by to read my words and leave a comment about what God is doing in your life. May God continue to bless you and your precious family!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcomed!!

Popular Posts