Motherhood and Reading God's Word (Part 1)



Written a couple of months ago. . .


I am in a day-by-day season of life where my days aren’t always as predictable as I’d like them to be.  I am mama to 8, my youngest being just 4 months old, and my oldest a few months shy of 17 years old. I have many things going on, at one time, to say the least. If I’m busy doing all the things--late night nursing, homeschooling, diaper changes, helping my husband, keeping my home, teaching teens to drive--where do I have time to study God’s Word?

Throughout my mothering journey, I’ve heard all kinds of things said on the subject. Some will tell women not to worry about reading the Bible during the newborn days, for example, because the Lord will understand the time constraints a little one places on the schedule. If we go that route, we fall into a habit of not reading the Word, convincing ourselves that we just don’t have time.

On the other hand, some will wonder why it is you don’t participate in all the online Bible studies or every small group your church offers. This makes us feel guilty because we aren’t able to keep up with everyone else.

We can also place unreasonable demands on ourselves when it comes to reading the Bible. Somewhere along the way we think that to effectively study and read God’s Word we need these types of things: a friend or group to read along with us, a dedicated reading space, a specified amount of time, complete quiet, special highlighters and pens, no interruptions, a note-taking system, a fancy journal to write those notes in, or a beautifully brewed cup of coffee or tea.

Then we worry about how much we’re reading or what we should be reading. So, maybe we try out one of those “read the Bible in a year” plans that we’ve all seen. We begin the plan, reading huge chunks of Scripture each day, regardless of what we’re able to retain, just in order to check the box. Then life happens and you miss a day. What then? How can you make up all that reading if you are so busy? You try to double up, but you feel overwhelmed. The truth is, doubling up doesn’t work, you’ve lost your place on the plan, so you stop reading altogether. That is the exact opposite of what the goal is meant to be.

While reading plans, study groups, highlighters and coffee can be motivating, they aren’t necessary. And, although motivating, they can be a distraction. I once heard it said that hiding God’s Word in your heart (according to Psalm 119:11) is not a race but a life-long habit. In other words, be consistent and remain committed. Keep it simple; no need to complicate things.

You may be wondering, how do I know what to read? When do I even have the time to read? How do I become consistent in God’s Word? Head over to Part 2 where I’ll share some tips that have helped me, as well as a bit of what I’ve been doing lately. Instead of stressing, remember the main thing is to stay connected to God through His Word.

Click here for Part 2.



Comments

  1. Truth!Beautiful and encouraging. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcomed!!

Popular Posts