The Promise of God's Presence



I am still plugging along in the book of Exodus in my daily Bible reading and wanted to share a bit of what I'm reading. I read through Exodus once with my children and I am visiting it again. I previously read through Deuteronomy, in conjunction with the book of Hebrews, to gain more understanding of the loving Law of God.

**Interesting note: anytime we read in the New Testament of someone quoting Scripture or referring to Scripture, they are talking about the Old Testament because the New hadn't yet been formed as something to refer to.**

I am on a little quest to understand the Old Scriptures as much more than "something we don't do anymore since we have Jesus." While that is very much true in many regards, that thinking can lead to a dismissive attitude and a disregard concerning the Old Testament. That only gives way to a lack of understanding of the Father and His character. There's a reason all of Scripture was preserved for us, down through the ages (2 Timothy 3:16-17). Graciously, the Lord is deepening my understanding of the beauty of the Old Testament Scriptures as they relate to the New Testament, the unfolding of one Word of God. I'm just soaking it in, bit by bit, hence how long it has taken me to ready just 3 books of the bible--almost one year!

Any way, here is a beautiful passage of Scripture I read from Exodus 33 and I keep returning to it again and again. The back drop for this passage comes after the debacle in the wilderness where the children of Israel make a molded calf while Moses is meeting with God on Mt. Sinai. The Lord says earlier in the chapter that he will send His Angel to lead them into the Promised Land, but He will not be in their midst to go up with them, lest they be consumed on the way for their grievous offense (see vs. 1-3). Moses entreats the Lord on behalf of the people and this is the exchange:

Then Moses said to the LORD, "See, You say to me, 'Bring up this people.' But You have not let me know whom You will send with me. Yet You have said, 'I know you by name, and you have also found grace in My sight.' Now therefore, I pray, if I have found grace in Your sight, show me now Your way, that I may know You and that I may find grace in Your sight. And consider that this nation is Your people."

And he said, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."

Then he said to Him, "If Your Presence does not go with us, do not bring us up from here. For how then will it be known that Your people and I have found grace in Your sight, except You go with us? So we shall be separate, Your people and I, from all the people who are upon the face of the earth."

So the LORD said to Moses, " I will also do this thing that you have spoken; for you have found grace in My sight, and I know you by name."

And he said, "Please, show me Your glory."

Then He said, "I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion." But He said, "You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me and live." And the LORD said, "Here is a place by Me, and you shall stand on the rock. So it shall be, while My glory passes by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock, and will cover you with My hand while I pass by. Then I will take away My hand, and you shall see My back; but My face shall not be seen." 


Ladies, I cannot express just how great the love of the Father is. Oh, His mercy is abundant and He lavishes His grace upon us, even though we deserve far worse. There is so much that is evident here: friendship, loyal love, humility, grace, forgiveness, prayer, holiness, favor, blessing, protection . . .

And as usual, a few songs come to mind. Of course that timeless hymn: "Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in Thee" and then a song my Grandfather would hum at any moment of any day: "If I could I surely would stand on that rock where Moses stood". . . All of these "Rock" references point us to Jesus, who is the Rock, the Chief Cornerstone. The old saints would sing: "Jesus is a Rock in a weary land, He's a Shelter in the time of a storm."

Be encouraged; stay in His Word; cling to the One who is Faithful and True.

What are you reading in your Bible? What verses do you return to again and again?



Comments

Popular Posts