Scripture: The Benefit of Reading Aloud




Reading through Scripture with your children may seem like a daunting task, particularly when they're young. If your young children are anything like mine, they are really wiggly and giggly and you wonder if they ever listen to what you're saying. And then, when you've finally quieted them (sort of) so they can hear you read, you wonder if they even understand what you're talking about. You may think, Lord, how can I teach them the deep truths of your Word, when I'm having trouble grasping them myself?

I'm here to tell you, just keep on reading. Don't ever underestimate what they can grasp . . . and more importantly, don't ever underestimate the working of the Holy Spirit. Nope, they won't catch every deep meaning. No, they probably won't understand each Biblical truth. But, God's Word is true and able. The Scriptures teach us that it won't return void and it accomplishes what it sets out to do:

For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven,
And do not return there,
But water the earth,
And make it bring forth and bud,
That it may give seed to the sower
And bread to the eater,
So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
It shall not return to Me void,
But it shall accomplish what I please,
And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.
Isaiah 55:10-11

Even in the hearts and minds of your littlest ones, keep sowing seeds of faith. Let them get used to the Word upon their ears, not paraphrased Bible stories (although those are certainly useful and have their place). The point is, children should be accustomed to hearing the Word and becoming familiar with it, even at an early age. My little ones come up to me all the time, quoting bits of Scripture or asking me questions about something we've read. And, I am always amazed at what their little minds are able to understand. They are little sponges, why not fill them with the true Word of God?

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me,
and do not hinder them,
for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”
-Matthew 19:14


Also posted at Our Homeschool Forum.

Comments

  1. Yes! And you know what? Even adults don't get the whole deeper meaner of Scripture the first time. I can't even begin to guess how many times I've heard the same scripture verses. . . and then I hear or read them yet again. . . and I notice something new and they take on an extra layer of meaning. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! What I love is when I get that"extra layer" when I'm reading bedtime devotions with my littlest ones. . .just plain, simple truth just about hits me upside the head and I'm like, "wow!"

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcomed!!

Popular Posts