Cast Iron Memories

My dear Granny, God rest her soul, used to cook with cast iron ALL. THE. TIME.' My Granny was originally from the deep south, Mississippi to be exact, before moving north. When I was younger, she would tell me stories that began with, "Girl, way down in the country. . . " Any time I see a cast iron skillet, I think of her, corn bread, Sunday dinners, the way she sang, how she walked, what her hands were like, her facial expression when she'd look up from reading her Bible or the newspaper (smile!). . .a cast iron skillet just brings back all these memories for me.

Well, fast forward some years, and I'm in my mother-in-law's kitchen, new to the family, helping out with dinner. There my mother-in-law is at her stove, frying chicken drumettes (VERY good I might add!), with a fork and a cast iron skillet. I was flooded with memories all over again.

Last Thanksgiving, my mother-in-law, sister-in-law and I were talking about various cookware, and looking through those wild Black Friday ads. I was telling them about my Granny's cast iron, the good food she cooked, and how it always reminded me of her. I said I would love to have a few pieces from my Granny's set from back home (she had cast iron cookware in all shapes and sizes), but the shipping cost alone for something like that would be outrageous.

Fast forward a few months. . .it's my birthday. My mother-in-law ordered a few pieces of cast iron cookware as a gift for me. I was completely surprised but even more, I was touched that she even remembered that from our conversation. SO SWEET and so unexpected! So, I got on the phone with my dad (who is "Mr. Everything-I-cook-could-be-on-Food-Network!") to double check what I could cook in it, what I couldn't, how to clean it and care for it. . . and after all, I knew he would know because my Granny was his mother.

So, I tried just a few things so far. . .nothing spectacular. But I'm so thrilled just to know it's in my kitchen! Who would think that a cast iron skillet could make a woman so happy?

Baked chicken on top of
carrotts, celery, and green pepers
in the Dutch oven

And the beloved skillet,
full of biscuits!



Linked with:

Comments

  1. I am a H U G E fan of cast iron, love, love, love it!!! Come on over and see some of my recipes inside and outside on open fires.

    http://keepinitruralinthemidwest.wordpress.com/

    and
    http://recipesforkeepinitrural.wordpress.com/

    Blessings to you, yours and your cookin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacie,
    I enjoy using cast iron as well. My only problem with it is it's so heavy! My husband loves the dutch oven, because he's a scoutmaster, and has lots of neat recipes that he uses on boy scout campouts. One of the boy's very favorites is Dutch oven pizza! It is always requested on campouts. Have fun with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,

    Dutch oven pizza sounds sooo good! You're right though. . .it is VERY heavy. I kind of have to brace myself when I pull a piece out:)

    May God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Keepin' it Rural. . .

    I will certainly be by for some recipies. . .I need them! Thanks for stopping by.

    May God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcomed!!

Popular Posts